Donkey Days or Kenyan Traffic Jam


I’m really just a big-city girl at heart.  My husband, who grew up in Camden, NJ might disagree.  Before I first took him to Oakwood, the town where I grew up, I told him it was a suburb of Atlanta—after his first visit, he was quick to point out that if Oakwood was a suburb of anything, than it was a suburb of Gainesville but certainly not Atlanta.  I guess after moving to Atlanta and   gaining some perspective, I’d have to agree. 

 Regardless of where I grew up, I love the activity and hustle-and-bustle of the city.  I love live theater and a variety of restaurants.  I enjoyed being able to step out my front door and walk to the library, the community center, the pizza place, and Dairy Queen.  Even so, I remember as a little girl being enchanted with the quaint lifestyle Laura Ingles Wilder described in her “Little House” books. 

My favorite book in the series was On the Banks of Plumb Creek.  Wilder described the isolation, the outhouses, the unvaried diet, and the life of a pioneer family with such sweet nostalgia I thought that was the type of environment for which I was made.  I have since realized that even though I love eating fresh foods straight from our garden, it’s the variety of diet and energetic, constantly moving atmosphere of the city that I crave.

I remember days, especially Fridays, that I would sit in my car in bumper-to-bumper traffic for an hour to travel from the school where I worked to my home, a mere 15 miles away.  The certainty of traffic is one thing I don’t miss about the city.  All these thoughts flashed through my mind when Sherwood and I were stuck in a rural Kenyan traffic jam.  

We were riding on the slick mud of our rural road snugly situated in the deep ruts from which one dare not emerge, even in a four-wheel-drive vehicle, when the road is in such dire condition. 
As we traveled along, we came upon a donkey, sans owner, charcoal in sacks strapped to its back, making its way down the middle of the road.  We couldn't risk leaving the safety of our furrow to pass the determined beast, so we traveled behind it for several minutes.  Eventually, the donkey put on his right directional signal (I kid you not, he rotated his right ear with great aplomb) and promptly moved over to the right hand side of the road on the outside of the groove.  Once we passed him, he moved right back to his original path in the middle of the road. 

Even though there’s a lot to miss about city life, I must admit I’ve never been as amused in Atlanta traffic jams as I was the day we were stuck behind the donkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment