"Final Thoughts" Written on the way home from Africa, by Michelle

I feel so conflicted because there is a part of me that can’t wait to see my family and enjoy the comforts of home.  And then a part of me wonders after what I’ve experienced, if I ever again can be comfortable with my “comforts.” 

Will I ever be able to get the image out of my mind, of the orphans waving good-bye as we drove away?  Will the pain I feel in my heart dull over time when I am once again distracted by life?  When it rains will I think of the rain barrels being filled?  When I do wash will I always picture those sweet girls at the orphanage bent over washing their clothes, singing nonetheless?


Will days begin to go by that I don’t think about the beautiful girl with the shy smile that didn’t even know “how” to hug? 

My worst fear is that my “comforts” will dull what I saw in Africa.  Just as I never want to forget the life Jesus   rescued me from, I never want to forget having my heart broken by so many desperate needs.  Needs I know nothing about. 


I hope someday soon I can take my family to Kenya.  I pray that God will somehow allow this financially.  I don’t want my children to be 40 before they realize just how blessed we are.  How every day we need to have a heart full of gratefulness.  Not just for the sake of being thankful, but to search out why God would choose to bless me to live in America.  How am I supposed to use this blessing?  I will never be the same, nor do I want to be.                         

No comments:

Post a Comment